Welcome to Childhood and Materiality, the VIII Conference on Childhood Studies in Finland!
The Conference will be held on May 7- 9, 2018 at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
Confirmed keynote speakers:
– Leena Alanen (University of Jyväskylä)
– Ivar Frønes (University of Oslo)
– Nick Lee (Warwick University)
– Ida Wentzel Winther (University of Aarhus)
The theme of the 2018 conference, Childhood and Materiality, is deliberately wide-ranging and designed to invite scholars to explore materiality and childhood across a broad spectrum. We hope to inspire lively debates from different disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives about many aspects of childhood and materiality. For a more detailed CFP, see https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/childhood2018/cfp
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Materialist methodologies, ontologies, ethics
- Historical perspectives on materiality and childhood
- Nature, animals, humans
- Sustainable development, mobility, migration
- Economies, consumption, wealth, poverty
- Materiality in institutions
- Policies and politics of materiality and childhood
- Embodiment, expressive bodies, normativity, and child bodies
- Material cultures in everyday life
- Aesthetic matters, dis/orders of tastes and things
- Materiality in play and imagination
- Digital technologies and environments
Abstract submission opens on November 1, 2017 and closes on January 15, 2018.
The conference is organized by the University of Jyväskylä, the Finnish Society for Childhood Studies, and the Nordic Child Culture Research network (i.e. BIN-Norden).
Follow us on @Childhood2018